Most photographers work freelance which brings the advantages and disadvantages of self-employment. Professional photography is required for a wide range of different purposed from weddings to commercial projects such as photographing company employees and new buildings. The work is creative but also involves building relationships with clients and your photography subjects. Much of the work is on location so will involve some travel.
There are several areas of photography where you could specialize:
- Commercial Photography
- Architectural Photography
- Events Photography
- Newspaper Photography
Photography is one of those highly skilled jobs that look easy until you try. You will need a range of technical, creative and personal skills to succeed in this competitive industry:
- A creative eye
- Strong communication skills and an amiable personality to get the most out of people
- Technical skills with the camera, lighting and photo editing software
- Tenacity - there will be a lot of hanging around to get that perfect picture
- An eye for detail and a desire for perfection.